The Graduate Employee Organization Scholarly Support Fund (GEO SSF) provides financial support to graduate employees who attend and/or present posters, papers, or talks at academic or professional conferences. Graduate employees who are presenting at a conference can receive a reimbursement of up to $500 for their expenses. Graduate employees who are attending but not presenting at a conference can receive a reimbursement of up to $250 for their expenses. Eligible expenses include transportation, conference registration fees, lodging (if the conference requires travel outside of Boston), and meals.
Who is eligible: All graduate employees at University of Massachusetts Boston. All graduate employees at University of Massachusetts Boston who are dues paying members of the Graduate Employee Organization union, UAW local 1596 How many grants can I receive: One grant per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) is allowed.
How many grants can I receive: One grant per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) is allowed.
Overview of the Process:
- Complete the GEO SSF application form embedded below. It includes your demographics, conference details, your signature, and why you are attending the conference. If you are presenting a paper, poster or talk, you must email a copy of the acceptance letter from the conference organization. If you are not presenting, please include documents that confirm conference attendance.
- All application materials including the application form and either an acceptance letter (if presenting) or a confirmation of conference attendance (if not presenting) must be placed in an envelope or folder and submitted to the Graduate Employee Office (Q-2-081A), at least 30 days prior to your travel date.
- The grants are awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis, and priority will be given to applicants who are presenting at conferences. GEO will then notify you by email regarding your application status.
- Before and during your conference, please keep all your receipts for transportation to and from the conference, conference registration, lodging, and meals.
- Within thirty (30) days after you return from the conference, you will be required to submit a travel reimbursement voucher (attached below) along with all your receipts to the Graduate Employee Office (Q-2-081A). The travel reimbursement voucher should include:
- Your name •
- Employee ID (this information can be found on your paycheck) •
- Home address •
- Campus address •
- Dates of travel, where you traveled, and purpose of travel (only if your meeting was an overnight trip) •
- A detailed list of all your travel, registration, lodging, and meal expenses •
- Your dated signature
Please note that items listed on the travel reimbursement voucher will only be reimbursed if they are accompanied by a receipt. Items that are not accompanied by a receipt will not be reimbursed. Graduate employees who have presented at a conference will be reimbursed up to $500 and graduate employees who attended but did not present at a conference will be reimbursed up to $250 for all travel, registration, lodging, and meal expenses.
- After the travel reimbursement voucher has been processed, you will receive a reimbursement check in the mail to the mailing address provided in your application form.
- If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), phone (617-287-3109), or dropping by our office (Q-2-81A).